Saturday, May 22, 2021

A Frenchman Sighted

 Following the defeat of the illegal Logwood Cutters, my ships (along with Piraguas and prisoners) reached the safe harbor of Puerta Cabellos. There I turned the captives over to the local authority and replaced my lost sailor with a new recruit. Leaving the Piraguas to be maintained in my absence, my Barks then continued on their patrol eastward along the coast towards Santa Catalina, which the English have taken to call Old Providence. Not two days out, sails were sighted to the north...

It's a Fluyt flying French colors, another trespasser of Spanish waters! I order the lead Bark to close range, while the trailing Bark is ordered to come up behind the French ship prior to boarding. I will use my cannons to damage her rigging to slow her down then close in and take her! This is the enemy...Her Captain (center) must be anxious to make up his mind...attempt to run, or strike...

She runs! Following a couple of turns of maneuvering, my lead Bark as well as the Frenchman volley their cannons! His strike my spars/sheets so that must be repaired. My crews place a full hit upon his rigging. My consort pushes hard to gain on the Fluyt. A fair start...

I order my Soldados to take a ranging shot, and it is no surprise they score no hits. At least it gives the French Captain something else to worry about!
As my ship slowly closes the range, we get our second volley...and what shots they are! Four hits including a Critical on his sails. That will slow him down to 3"...
The first casualty is also inflicted. Good shooting!
I'm actually surprised he has not struck his colors. I order the Soldados to again bring fire upon these trespassers, but no hits again...
He dares to fire again on my ship! Only one cannon fires and misses (His second gun could not be reloaded due to the casualty, and the Frenchman was moving another group of sailors to take over the gun position)
He sails on so we must continue to punish him. While he unfortunately repaired the damage done to his
sails/spars, we put two more Critical Hits on him. Another sails/spars and a hit to his sheets. A second Frenchman goes down as well. When will this Captain get it into his head he must surrender!
As my Bark kept getting closer to the Frenchman, I knew I was now taking a massive gamble. Could I sail around the bow of the Fluyt and not get rammed by the heavier ship? I ordered the attempt to be made, and even though we experienced a short slackening of the wind, my ship's master pulled off the maneuver...barely missing the bowspirit of the Frenchman. My gunners then poured a most devastating blast into the ship. To close for a rigging shot, both guns smashed into the hull , with a Lucky Hit as well that knocked one of his cannon off its carriage. 
Much more destructively however was the fact the Frenchman failed all four of his saving throws! Four crewmen (50%!) were blown over! And even if they had wanted to continue, my vessel was now on the other side of where the Frenchman's manned cannons were located...
The Captain now faced up to the facts of the situation. With his crew badly damaged, the ship hurt, he lowered his flag...
Now to board her and count the valuable treasure, some 250 pts in our system. That will come to 73.5 for the Captain's share! Possibly a new ship, guns, more crew?














 

No comments:

Post a Comment