Saturday, April 15, 2023

The Bund: 1920s Shanghai

 Its been a long time since I've added to my Blog. I purchased ahistorical building in Victor Colorado which I've been working on, but thats another story. Reading a series of books written by Howard Turk inspired me to recreate Shanghai's famous Bund in 3D. Years ago, I produced a diorama in 2D that reached over 40 feet. For now I have recreated a total of seven of the 22 buildings located along the Whangpoo/Huangpu River.

Starting at the southern end of the Bund (near the French Concession of the early 20th Century), we see (from left to right) the McBain/Asia Building; the Shanghai Club (home to the famous Long Bar); Union Building; anf the NKK Building...

Closeups; McBain:
Shanghai Club:
the Union Building:
the NKK Building:
Moving north up to the heart of the Bund. (l-r) Bank of Taiwan; the North China Daily News Building; the Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China; the Palace Hotel;
Again, some closeups. Bank of Taiwan and the North China Daily News:
Chartered Bank:
and finally (for now) the Palace Hotel:
To the right of the last photo you can see some of my 2D printouts of the various buildings architectural drawings I originally downloaded and sized to my chosen 28mm scale.








No comments:

Post a Comment